When you live in a place with clay soil such as I do, you have the luxury of being able to go out into your back yard and harvest your own clay. But how exactly do you go about this? Today I'll e showing you my way of harvesting, storing, and using this unique clay.
- Dig up the clay
- You can usually find clay in creek or river beds. Don't worry about getting bits of rocks or plants in there, we will take care of this later.
- Let the clay dry outside. This will take several days. I put mine in a plastic tub or on cardboard. Also, e sure to take it in at night so that the dew doesn't settle on it.
- Crush the Clay up by putting it in a ziplock baggie and using a hammer. Do this to gety it as fine as you can.
- Use a mesh sifter (I got mine at a dollar store) to sift through the first time. Whatever doesn't go through you should put aside to smash a second time.(Step 3)
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 until all is sifted.
- Store until ready to use.