Welcome

Custom Search

Friday, August 28, 2009

Hand Feeding Hummingbirds

During the end of summer at this time of year a local state park allows you to hand feed their hummingbirds. I sat for about an hour and waited and waited with my vial (above) up in the air. People were running around me, talking, moving, and needless to say no hummingbirds came to me.

So, I thought, we have hummingbirds at home. What's stopping me from going out in my backyard and doing this. So we "snuck" out two vials (Don't worry, we donated money to the park.)

I sat in my back year for about 5 minuets after I removed their regular feeders. I wore a bright red shirt because I figured they would be more attracted to it. Low and behold, they came. One after another, fighting over the prize that I was holding in my hand!

If you would like to try this at home, I would recommend doing it soon (before they migrate)
You can use the vials like I did, or, i have seen people use caps. Also, I recommend wrapping whatever you use in red tape or pipe cleaners.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment